Canada Revenue Agency withholds tax refunds, other benefits of Canadians awaiting review of their eligibility status
Ottawa/IBNS: Canadians waiting for a decision of a review of their eligibility status regarding pandemic benefits, after having received these by mistake, might see their tax refunds or other benefits being reportedly withheld by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
Over one million notices have been sent to ineligible Canadians for receiving the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB).
In its efforts to recover the money, CRA uses a process called offsetting to automatically use money from tax refunds and some benefits to settle a person’s debt with the government.
According to the CRA approximately $237 million of COVID-19 benefit debt has been collected through offsetting.
A number of Canadians eligible to receive CERB say that while waiting for a final decision, the CRA has withheld their tax refunds or other government benefits.
When asked how long these reviews typically take, the CRA said while a majority of cases are completed within a short timeframe, some files with more complex issues may take a longer time to review.
Earlier this month the Office of the Taxpayers’ Ombudsperson announced that it is monitoring complaints from people who have been receiving collection letters from the CRA despite having repaid the pandemic benefits to the government.
The federal government has 36 months, according to law, from the time benefits are paid to confirm if the payment was proper.
$4.6 billion in pandemic benefits was reported in December by the auditor general, including other programs such as the wage subsidy and the caregiver benefit which went to ineligible recipients.
(Reporting by Asha Bajaj)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

