Gender equality is 300 years away: Antonio Guterres warns
New York: UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres on Tuesday said progress in women’s rights won over decades is 'vanishing before our eyes'.
In his strong message, the UN chief said: "On the current track, gender equality is 300 years away."
"Together, let’s push back against misogyny and forward for women, girls and our world," he tweeted.
Guterres said voices of women and girls will not be silenced.
He made the remark at a time when women gathered outside Kabul University to protest against the Taliban's ban on female education in the war-torn nation and urged male students to reject attending the new academic session which commenced on Monday.
The new academic session for universities and other educational institutes in the country started on Monday.
A group of female students in a letter asked their lecturers and male classmates to boycott the new academic year. In the letter, they mentioned the slogan, “education for all or none” so that justice is served equally for everyone ignoring their gender, reports Khaama Press.
The Taliban, which came to power in Afghanistan by taking control of Kabul forcefully on Aug 15, 2021 after the foreign forces decided to leave the nation, banned women from attending university classes in December last year.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

