Guterres: Eliminate ‘weapons of terror’ to avert future chemical warfare
New York: The world must make every effort to eliminate chemical weapons, the UN chief said on Monday, raising grave concerns about their continued use.
“We cannot go backwards,” UN Secretary-General António Guterres said in a video message addressing the fifth Special Session of the States parties to review the operation of the Chemical Weapons Convention.
‘Senseless weapons of terror’
“The use of chemical weapons has persisted; each use threatens to reverse our hard-won gains,” he said. “We must make every effort to eliminate these senseless weapons of terror.”
In the name of the victims of these attacks, and as a deterrent to any State or other actors who might use chemical weapons in the future, he said those responsible for any use must be identified and held accountable for their crimes.
‘No place in our world’
Chemical weapons “ have no place in our world” and their use anywhere, by anyone, for any reason is unacceptable, he said, underlining the importance of the Chemical Weapons Convention.
Entering into force in 1997, it aims to eliminate an entire category of weapons of mass destruction by prohibiting the development, production, acquisition, stockpiling, retention, transfer or use of chemical weapons, by its 193 States parties.
In turn, signatories must take the necessary steps to enforce that prohibition and ensure the safe destruction of existing stockpiles.
Around 98 per cent of the global population lives under the Convention’s protection, and 99 per cent of declared stockpiles have been verifiably destroyed, said the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW), the Convention’s implementing body.
‘Milestone of disarmament’
“This milestone of disarmament was the result of the world standing as one and speaking as one to express humanity’s horror at the use of chemical weapons,” he said. “Since then, the Convention has helped create a safer world for all of us.”
“Let’s revive the spirit that led to the Convention’s creation three decades ago,” he said, urging States to renew and strengthen their commitment to the Chemical Weapons Convention. “Let’s rally the world behind our goal of a safer, more secure world for all: a world without chemical weapons.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

