Yemen: Houthis ban Swedish imports after Quran burning
Sanaa: The Houthi group in Yemen has banned the entry of Swedish imports into the country's north, which is under its control, in protest against the burning of a Quran during a protest in Sweden.
Houthi trade minister Mohammed al-Mutahar said the ban was a "message of protest" against the incident, which he described as "an act of blasphemy."
He said the effect of the ban on the Houthi-controlled region was "limited" because Swedish imports to Yemen are not at a large amount.
The burning of the Quran by an Iraqi refugee in a demonstration in Stockholm last month was condemned by several Islamic countries. Although the Stockholm police had initially granted permission for the Quran burning, the Swedish government subsequently denounced the incident, labeling it an "Islamophobic" act.
Yemen's Houthi rebels seized control of several northern provinces in late 2014, sparking a civil war and forcing the Yemeni government out of the capital, Sanaa. The government has since moved to the southern port city of Aden.
(With UNI Inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

