Blow to INDIA Bloc in Maharashtra as Uddhav's Shiv Sena to contest local body polls alone
Mumbai: The Uddhav faction of Shiv Sena announced on Saturday that it would contest the municipal corporation elections in Mumbai, Thane, Nagpur, and other local bodies independently, dealing a big blow to the INDIA bloc in Maharashtra, media reports said.
Shiv Sena (UBT) leader and Rajya Sabha MP Sanjay Raut stated that going solo would provide party workers with more opportunities and boost organisational growth.
"In alliances, party workers don’t get enough scope, which hampers organisational development. We will rely on our strength," he was quoted as saying by India Today.
Raut also criticised the INDIA bloc for its inefficiency in Maharashtra, pointing out that a convener was never appointed.
"This responsibility lay with the Congress, being the largest party in the alliance, but they failed to convene a meeting," he added, according to the report.
The Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) coalition, formed in 2019 under Uddhav Thackeray, Sharad Pawar, and Sonia Gandhi, united Shiv Sena (UBT), NCP (Sharad Pawar faction), and Congress.
The coalition joined hands with other regional parties like DMK and Trinamool Congress to establish the INDIA bloc for the 2024 Lok Sabha elections.
Raut also criticised senior Congress leader Vijay Wadettiwar, who had blamed alliance partners for the MVA's defeat in the Maharashtra Assembly elections, noting that no INDIA bloc meetings had occurred since the Lok Sabha elections last year.
Meanwhile, Vanchit Bahujan Aghadi (VBA) leader Prakash Ambedkar alleged that Uddhav Thackeray’s decision to withdraw from the MVA alliance was driven by personal interests concerning his son Aaditya Thackeray, India Today reported.
The announcement follows NCP (Sharad Pawar faction) chief Sharad Pawar's recent remarks praising the RSS for its disciplined methodology and Hindutva campaign, which he credited for the BJP's success in last November’s state assembly elections.
Addressing party workers in Mumbai, Pawar expressed frustration over their complacency despite the MVA's strong performance in the 2024 Lok Sabha elections.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese
New Delhi/IBNS: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Friday congratulated his Australian counterpart Anthony Albanese on his wedding to financial services professional and women's advocate Jodie Haydon, calling the Australian leader “a good friend”.

Massive U-turn! Mamata Banerjee finally bows to Centre’s Waqf law after months of fierce resistance
Kolkata/IBNS: In a major shift from its earlier stance, the Mamata Banerjee-led West Bengal government has accepted the controversial Waqf (Amendment) Act passed by Parliament earlier this year, media reports said.

Delhi Police serves notice to private hospitals for doctors who studied in Pakistan, Bangladesh, UAE, China
New Delhi/IBNS: Intensifying its investigation into the Red Fort blast case, Delhi Police has now issued notices to all private hospitals across the national capital, asking them to submit records of doctors who obtained their medical degrees abroad.

'My name is Sophie': Meet saree-clad AI teacher developed by 17-year-old UP student
Lucknow/IBNS: In a remarkable advancement for low-cost educational technology, a 17-year-old student from Uttar Pradesh's Bulandshahr has engineered an Artificial Intelligence (AI) teacher robot.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

