Mastermind of Parliament security breach surrenders to Delhi Police
New Delhi/IBNS: Lalit Jha, the alleged mastermind of the security breach in Parliament, who was on the run, surrendered to the police on Thursday.
According to reports, he had gone to the police station on Kartavya Path (the boulevard renamed 'Path of Duty') and surrendered.
He has been formally arrested and the New Delhi District Police has handed him over to the Special Cell.
The Kolkata-based teacher was arrested from Delhi after being on the run for nearly two days.
According to reports, the man claimed that he had gone by bus to Rajasthan's Nagaur via Neemrana, where he was last seen, and stayed at a hotel with two friends.
Later, when he realised that the police were looking for him, he came back. He was accompanied by one Mahesh at the police station, reports said.
According to the police, Jha, who could not get a visitor's pass, had stayed outside and filmed the 'protest' by Neelam and Amol Shinde.
Sagar Sharma and D Manoranjan, who were caught inside the Lok Sabha, and Neelam Devi and Amol Shinde, arrested outside Parliament, have to be questioned in detail, the Delhi Police said.
Five people were arrested on Wednesday itself for the security breach in the afternoon in which two men got into the Lok Sabha and let off thick yellow smoke from canisters they smuggled in.
A total of six people were involved in the planning and execution of the major security breach in Parliament on Wednesday.
The four intruders - Sagar Sharma, D Manoranjan, Neelam Devi, and Amol Shinde - were arrested minutes after the smoke scare, and produced before a Delhi court earlier in the day.
They have been sent to a seven-day police custody.
According to the police, Jha, who could not get a visitor's pass, had stayed outside and filmed the 'protest' by Neelam and Amol Shinde.
The police sought custody for 15 days, arguing they needed time to take the four to Mumbai (where the smoke canisters were bought) and Lucknow (were shoes used to smuggle the canisters were bought), as well as uncover possible "terrorist" angles.
The police also suggested more people may have been involved in the smoke attack "as a common man cannot work with such planning".
The police also told the court the motives of those involved are, so far, unclear. The four accused reportedly told police they wanted to highlight issues like joblessness and the ethnic violence in Manipur, and that they wanted to bring these to MPs' attention.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US embassy in Delhi issues tender for 1,200 HEPA filter sets amid rising air pollution
New Delhi/IBNS: As Delhi continues to battle hazardous air pollution levels, the US Embassy in New Delhi has floated a tender seeking 1,200 boxes of True HEPA filter sets for its Blueair 500 and 600 series air purifiers, Hindustan Times reported.

Three Indian Naval Ships visit Colombo: Full details inside
Three Indian Naval Ships - Landing Craft Utility (LCU 51, LCU 54 and LCU 57) visited Colombo, Sri Lanka, from November 22 to November 25 as part of a port call.
Narendra Modi inaugurates Skyroot’s Infinity Campus: India’s space ambitions take off further
Indian PM Narendra Modi inaugurated the Skyroot’s Infinity Campus in Hyderabad, Telangana via video conferencing on Thursday when he said the nation is witnessing an unprecedented opportunity in the space sector.

Rajnath Singh, Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin agree to further strengthen India-Indonesia defence ties. All details here
Indian Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Minister of Defense of Indonesia Sjafrie Sjamsoeddin co-chaired the third India-Indonesia Defence Ministers’ Dialogue in New Delhi on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

