The Ashes: Pat Cummins confirms Australia's swap for Manchester Test
Manchester/UNI: Australia skipper Pat Cummins has confirmed that Australia would make a change for the fourth Ashes Test here.
Australia could go in with an all-out pace attack at Old Trafford according to skipper Cummins.
A day ahead of the fourth Test, the Australian captain confirmed that Josh Hazlewood would return to the XI at the expense of Scott Boland, who has had an ordinary run in the series.
However, he commented that not playing Todd Murphy was an option that Australia are pondering, the ICC reported.
With Cummins, Mitchell Starc and Josh Hazlewood leading the pace pack, Australia could also have Michael Neser back in the mix. The pacer has had a good time with the bat for Glamorgan, smashing an unbeaten, career-best 176 in the County Championship after he was released from the squad.
The pacer has returned to join the Ashes camp and could be in contention for Manchester, although Cummins hinted about trying to fit in two all-rounders.
"Josh will come in for Scott Boland, and the top order will stay the same," said Cummins ahead of the Test.
Cameron Green, who was replaced by Mitchell Marsh last Test, is another option the visitors have. Marsh played a starring role at Headingley in the third Test and is likely to keep his place, which would mean Green remains on the sidelines unless he replaces Murphy.
On the ICC Review, former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting had said that he would have liked Murphy to keep his place for the fourth Test.
"I've got no doubt that he stays on the side. And I think when they get the chance, when Pat gets the chance, he might look at getting him into the game a little bit earlier next time," Ponting had said.
While Cummins said that Australia were excited about Murphy, he pointed out that the 22-year-old isn't exactly a like-for-like to Nathan Lyon.
"Nathan Lyon is the greatest off-spinner we've ever had so it's not quite apples for apples," Cummins said.
"We are really excited by Todd, we think he's fantastic. I would have loved to use him a bit more last week, (but) conditions just favoured pace bowling," he said.
"We think he's a gun, we love having him around, he's got a big future. It was more conditions the way I used him, as opposed to how he bowled," Cummins said.
Meanwhile, England have confirmed their XI for the fourth Test with James Anderson set to return for Ollie Robinson in the only change from the winning team that played at Headingley last week.
Australia Ashes squad: Pat Cummins (c), Scott Boland, Alex Carey (wk), Cameron Green, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood, Travis Head, Josh Inglis (wk), Usman Khawaja, Marnus Labuschagne, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh, Todd Murphy, Michael Neser, Jimmy Peirson (wk), Steve Smith (vc), Mitchell Starc, David Warner
England XI for fourth Test: Ben Duckett, Zak Crawley, Moeen Ali, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jonny Bairstow (wk), Chris Woakes, Mark Wood, Stuart Broad, James Anderson.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

