UN Women welcomes FIFA action against Spanish football federation chief
The UN agency championing gender equality has underlined its strong stance against abuse or harassment of women taking part in sport.
UN Women issued a statement on Tuesday hailing the decision by the global football organization FIFA to suspend Spanish soccer federation president Luis Rubiales for kissing star player Jennifer Hermoso on the lips without her consent, after the national team won the Women’s World Cup earlier this month.
“UN Women, as a supporter of women’s sport and partner of FIFA, welcomes FIFA’s decisive action with regard to the actions of the Spanish football federation president and the launching of a full investigation after a clearly inappropriate act towards a sportswoman at the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup final,” it said.
Ninety-day suspension
Spain defeated favourites England 1-0, scoring its first-ever victory at the competition, which takes place every four years. This year’s tournament was held in Australia and New Zealand.
The kiss occurred during the medal ceremony in Sydney on 20 August. Mr. Rubiales said he made a mistake and that the kiss was consensual, but Ms. Hermoso has stated emphatically that it was unsolicited and she felt violated.
Since then, there have been calls for Mr. Rubiales to resign and the winning squad has said it would not play for Spain until he is removed.
FIFA announced on Saturday that he has been suspended for 90 days while disciplinary proceedings are underway.
Red card for harassment
UN Women said it “joins all those asserting zero tolerance for any form of abuse or harassment, at anytime, anywhere in women’s sports.”
“Women everywhere have the right to fully participate in sports without any form of abuse or harassment - be it behind closed doors, in locker rooms, on social media, or on the world stage,” the statement said.
Furthermore, everyone involved in sports, at whatever level, has a duty to play their part.
“We must collectively commit that violence, harassment, and abuse in women’s sport will not be tolerated and cannot continue, so that we can truly say it’s over.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

