We could have been a bit careful at shot-making: Rahul Dravid on India's WTC performance
London: Indian Head Coach Rahul Dravid said giving away 157 runs in the last session of Day 1, and careless shots by top batsmen were the reasons for India's defeat at the hands of Australia in the final of the World Test Championship at The Oval here on Sunday.
"It wasn't a 469 wicket. On the first day, last session, conceding 157 [for no wicket] was disappointing ... The lengths weren't bad, but we went wide with our lines, gave a lot of room to Travis Head, he capitalised and we fell behind," he told Star Sports after the match.
"Yesterday I felt on this wicket, we played three-four shots, we could've been a bit careful," Dravid said.
Asked about India's decision to bowl first, Dravid said the overcast conditions and grass on the wicket on Day 1 were the reasons. And the Team also felt batting gets easier n England even on fourth and fifth day, he said. "At 70 [76] for 3, we felt it was a good decision, but the complexion of the game changed in the two sessions after that," Dravid defended.
"Had we restricted them to 300-odd, it would've been a good score, we would've still been in the game, and it would've been a tight third and fourth innings. It's one of those things in England. Last year at Edgbaston, the fourth innings became easier, and England chased 380 [378] easily. We knew 444 is a lot of runs, but if we kept them to 320, we could've chased it."
Asked by Harbhajan Singh if India needed to relook at having turning tracks to suit their spinners at home at the cost of exposing batsmen against quality pace abroad, Dravid said such risks need to be taken as obtaining points to qualify for WTC finals matters a lot.
"Nobody wants wickets to turn from the first ball and turn square, but certainly when you're playing the WTC and playing for points, as it gets to the back end of it ... everyone wants to come to games like this [final]. In situations like that, at times, you have to take a few risks," he said.
It is not only India, but also other teams are taking risks, Dravid argued. "We're not the only team taking risks ... Australia also used to play on wickets that lasted five days, but now they're also playing on wickets that are lasting three-four days in their own country," he contended.
(With UNIinpuits)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

