West Indies include Shimron Hetmyer in squad against India in ODI contest
Barbados/UNI: West Indies have recalled star batter Shimron Hetmyer for their upcoming ODI series against India at home.
Hetmyer hasn't featured for the Caribbean side in almost a year, but earns a recall on the back of a solid season in the Indian Premier League with the Rajasthan Royals that netted a total of 299 runs from 13 innings.
If Hetmyer is selected it will be his first match in West Indies colours since he featured in a T20I against New Zealand in August last year and shortly before the talented 26-year-old was left out of his side's ICC Men's T20 World Cup campaign in Australia after he missed a departing flight out of the Caribbean, the ICC reported.
The left-hander hasn't played an ODI for the West Indies in two years, with Hetmyer's last appearance in a 50-over contest coming against Australia in July 2021.
Hetmyer isn't the only player to earn a recall for the ODI series, with the West Indies also including fast bowler Oshane Thomas in the 15-player squad they announced on Monday alongside injury returnees Jayden Seales, Yannic Cariah and Gudakesh Motie.
Chief selector and West Indies great Desmond Haynes is looking forward to the ODI series against India and is confident that Hetmyer and Thomas can perform well.
"We welcome Oshane and Shimron back into the group. Both have played at the international level before, with some success, and we believe they will fit well into the set-up," Haynes said.
"Oshane brings pace and is a potential wicket-taker with the new ball. Shimron’s style of batting will offer a lot especially in the middle stage of the innings and he is also a potential ‘finisher’," he said.
Regulars Nicholas Pooran and Jason Holder are unavailable for the series, with wicket-keeper batter Shai Hope once again named as captain for the three matches.
The first ODI commences in Barbados on Thursday, with the series of extra importance for India ahead of the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup later this year.
West Indies failed to qualify for the 50-over World Cup this year after they finished outside the top
two in the recent ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Qualifier tournament in Zimbabwe.
West Indies squad: Shai Hope (c), Rovman Powell (vc), Alick Athanaze, Yannic Cariah, Keacy Carty, Dominic Drakes, Shimron Hetmyer, Alzarri Joseph, Brandon King, Kyle Mayers, Gudakesh Motie, Jayden Seales, Romario Shepherd, Kevin Sinclair, Oshane Thomas
India squad: Rohit Sharma (c), Shubman Gill, Ruturaj Gaikwad, Virat Kohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Sanju Samson (wk), Ishan Kishan (wk), Hardik Pandya (vc), Shardul Thakur, Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Jaydev Unadkat, Mohammad Siraj, Umran Malik, Mukesh Kumar
ODI schedule:
27 July: First ODI, Kensington Oval, Barbados
29 July: Second ODI, Kensington Oval, Barbados
1 August: Third ODI, Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Trinidad.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

