Blasphemy: Iran executes two people
The Iran government hanged two people on Monday who were earlier sentenced to death due to blasphemy.
Yusef Mehrdad and Sadrullah Fazeli Zare were arrested in May 2020 and sentenced to death in April 2021 for running online “anti-Islam groups and channels,” news agency Mizan was quoted as saying by CNN.
Meanwhile, the United States Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) said it is alarmed by the continued enforcement of blasphemy provisions around the world and condemns efforts to enact stricter blasphemy legislation.
The existence and enforcement of such laws—which punish individuals for allegedly offending, insulting, or denigrating religious doctrines, deities, symbols, and religious feelings—undermines freedom of religion or belief and related human rights, including freedom of expression.
“Blasphemy prosecutions demonstrate a blatant disregard for human rights, and are often used to target members of religious communities and others who hold different or dissenting views,” said Chair Nury Turkel. “It is outrageous that the Iranian government executed Yusef Mehrdad and Seyyed Sadrullah Fazeli Zare on charges of insulting the Prophet despite an international outcry and telling Mr. Mehrdad’s family the execution had been stayed.”
In its 2023 Annual Report, USCIRF highlighted blasphemy prosecutions in multiple countries. In 2020, USCIRF released a groundbreaking report that documented the global enforcement of blasphemy laws, and in 2022, released a series of reports on blasphemy laws in Nigeria, Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member countries, and Turkey.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

