Former Italian PM and billionaire Berlusconi dies at age 86
Milan: Former Italian Prime Minister and billionaire media tycoon Silvio Berlusconi, who was hospitalized in Milan's San Raffaele hospital for scheduled follow-up tests for a blood condition last week, died aged 86, the Corriere della Sera newspaper reported on Monday.
Berlusconi's hospitalization last week was not associated with any "critical" phenomena and that his health status was not worrying.
Silvio Berlusconi, who was once mired in sex scandals and allegations of corruption, had a lung infection in April and his ailment was in consequence of an undisclosed case of chronic leukemia (blood cancer), said media reports.
Reacting to the news of his demise, Italy's Defence Minister Guido Crosetto tweeted that Berlusconi's absence has left a "huge void".
"An era is over... Farewell Silvio," Crosetto posted, adding that he "loved" Berlusconi "very much", according to BBC.
He had led a centre-right coalition since 1994, when he entered politics and formed his Forza Italia party.
He was a media tycoon and served as Prime Minister of Italy in four governments from 1994 to 1995, 2001 to 2006 and 2008 to 2011. He was a member of the Chamber of Deputies from 1994 to 2013; a member of the Senate of the Republic from 2022 to 2023, and previously from March to November 2013; and a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) from 2019 to 2023, and previously from 1999 to 2001.
With a net worth of US$6.8 billion as of June 2023, Berlusconi was the third-wealthiest person in Italy.
On 1 Aug 2013, Berlusconi was convicted of tax fraud by the Supreme Court of Cassation. His four-year prison sentence was confirmed, and he was banned from holding public office for two years. Aged 76, he was exempted from direct imprisonment, and instead served his sentence by doing unpaid community service
Silvio Berluscon was accused and initially convicted of paying a 17-year-old Moroccan Karima El Mahroug, also known by the stage name Ruby Rubacuori (Italian for "Ruby the Heartstealer"), for sexual services between Feb and May 2010 when she was under the age of 18; he was found not guilty on appeal.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

