Over 150,000 people take part in Paris protest against planned pension reform: Reports
Paris/UNI: More than 150,000 people participated in a protest against the planned pension reform in Paris, BFMTV reported citing data from the organizers - the left-wing La France Insoumise (LFI) party led by Jean-Luc Melenchon.
At the same time, the Occurrence research institute said that 14,000 people took part in the Saturday demonstration in the French capital.
Melenchon has criticized Occurrence, saying on Twitter on Saturday that the institute was "macronist" and making fun of its estimates regarding the number of participants in the demonstration.
A RIA Novosti correspondent reported on Saturday that protesters in Paris set trash cans on fire, broke traffic lights and blew up firecrackers.
Some radicals smashed bank windows and ATM machines and threw glass bottles at the police while chanting "Down with capitalism" and "[French President Emmanuel] Macron, we will fight till the end!".
Earlier in January, French Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne unveiled a draft of the controversial pension reform that the government plans to adopt in 2023.
According to the draft, the French authorities will gradually raise the retirement age in the country by three months a year from Sept 1, 2023. By 2030, the retirement age will reach 64 years.
France's leading trade unions announced nationwide strikes against the pension reform starting from Jan 19.
Over 200 demonstrations were held across the country on Thursday, with the largest protests taking place in Paris, Marseilles, Lyon, Toulouse, Lille and Nantes.
The demonstration was joined by nearly 1.12 million people, with 80,000 of them reportedly in Paris alone.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

