Pakistan: Dir resident gets death, prison terms over blasphemy, other religious offences
Peshawar: A Pakistani court has convicted a Lower Dir resident on the charges of committing blasphemy and other religious offences on social media and awarded death sentence, media reports said on Friday.
A total prison term of 21 years and a total fine of Rs 1.6 million were imposed on him.
It declared that all prosecution witnesses fully supported the prosecution’s assertion leaving no doubt that the accused was the guilty person, Dawn News reported.
The court added that as the accused recorded his statement under Section 342 of the Code of Criminal Procedure, he was confronted with all evidence mentioned in the questionnaire, but he failed to prove any of them false.
It declared that the accused, a resident of Adenzai tehsil in Lower Dir district, failed to disprove that the mobile phone with a SIM card registered in his name was not recovered from him and that the phone carried several blasphemous content, which he shared in a WhatsApp group.
The FIR of the offences was registered by the FIA Counter-Terrorism Wing, Islamabad, police station on Aug 4, 2021, under the Pakistan Penal Code’s sections 295-A (insulting religious beliefs), 295-C (use of derogatory remarks in respect of the Holy Prophet) and 298-A (derogatory remarks in respect of holy personages), the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act’s Section 20 (offence against dignity of a person) and the Anti-Terrorism Act’s Section 7(1)(g).
The accused in the incident was arrested last year.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

Big trouble for Gandhis! Fresh FIR slaps criminal conspiracy charges on Rahul and Sonia in National Herald case

Tripura: ARC method drives four-fold surge in potato production

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

