Pakistan: FIA, PTA told to block scandalous content on social media
Karachi: The Sindh High Court (SHC) directed the Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) and Pakistan Telecommunication Authority (PTA) to block defamatory and scandalous online content on social media sites against television actress Kubra Khan, Geo news reported.
Last week, UK-based YouTuber and retired army officer Adil Farooq Raja levelled serious allegations against some actresses by mentioning their initials — S.A, K.K, M.H and H.K.
Netizens attached the names of four actresses, forcing them to respond to the allegations on social media.
One of the actresses was Kubra, who told Raja to either bring proof for his claims, retract the statement, publicly apologise or she will take strict action and sue him for defamation.
The interim order came on a petition filed by the actress against a scandalous and defamatory campaign against her and three other TV actresses on social media.
The petitioner submitted that a YouTuber who claimed himself as rights activist and former army officer had made false allegations against four actresses of the media industry degrading them and causing an affront to their modesty and dignity by alleging that they were used by agencies to lure politicians into compromising positions at safe houses.
A counsel for the petitioner submitted that Raja later on uploaded another video where he clarified the issue and retracted from his earlier version but during the process it had irreparably damaged the reputation of the actresses, including the petitioner, on account of the contents uploaded on social media sites and cyberspace.
The counsel submitted that the act of the YouTuber was strictly cognisable under the Prevention of Electronic Crimes Act 2016 (PECA) and the PTA was the designated agency to check such illegalities and pass orders to ensure removal of such content.
He submitted that the FIA and PTA had been approached for removal of such content but no action had been taken against the YouTuber or removal of the defamatory and scandalous content.
The high court was requested to direct the PTA and FIA to take immediate action against perpetrators of the PECA law.
A division bench of the SHC headed by Justice Salahuddin Panhwar after preliminary hearing of the petition issued notices to the FIA, PTA and others and called their comments.
(With UNI inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

