Stoltenberg says Zelensky accepted invitation to NATO summit
Kyiv: Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has accepted an invitation to attend the NATO summit in Lithuania's capital, Vilnius in July, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said on Friday.
"I have invited him to attend the meeting, and I'm glad that he has accepted the invitation and will attend the NATO summit in Vilnius," Stoltenberg told reporters ahead of the Ukraine Defense Contact Group meeting at the US's Ramstein Air Base in Germany.
Following the development, Zelensky said Thursday: "Now, when the majority of people in NATO countries and the majority of Ukrainians support the entry of our country into the alliance, it is time to take the appropriate decision."
Last week, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said that Ukraine would not be satisfied with any other decision by the NATO summit in Vilnius, scheduled for July 11-12, other than an invitation to join the alliance.
Kuleba stressed that in Vilnius, NATO must decide what will happen in terms of security guarantees for Ukraine between now and the moment when Ukraine could possibly become a member of NATO, adding that Kiev will under no circumstances accept any "surrogate decisions."
In September 2022, Zelenskyy announced that Ukraine was applying to be fast-tracked to join NATO. Stoltenberg reaffirmed the bloc's unchanged position on the right of each country to determine its own path and on its "open door" policy but noted that the alliance would concentrate its efforts on helping Ukraine defend itself.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

