Sudan: ‘Civilians need life-saving assistance now,’ says UN relief chief
Amid the deepening crisis driven by warring militaries in Sudan, the UN announced on Tuesday an additional allocation of $20 million from its Central Emergency Response Fund (CERF) to aid civilians caught up in the turmoil.
The latest funds, approved by Emergency Relief Coordinator Martin Griffiths, builds upon previous support, bringing the total CERF funding for the crisis to $60 million.
“As humanitarian needs soar in Sudan with critically low funding, I have approved an additional $20 million from CERF,” Mr. Griffiths said in a post on social media platform, X.
“Civilians need life-saving assistance now, humanitarians need access and funding to deliver it.”
In spite of the latest funding injection, resources remain critically low for relief efforts in Sudan.
So far the $2.57 billion Humanitarian Response Plan has reached only 26 per cent of its funding target. Aid workers hope to reach 18.1 million of the approximately 25 million in need of assistance.
Huge wave of displacement
The four-month conflict in Sudan has triggered a huge wave of displacement. Over 3.6 million Sudanese have been uprooted within the country and a further one million outside its borders.
More than 240,000 Sudanese refugees and South Sudanese refugees, previously sheltering in Sudan, have crossed into South Sudan since the crisis erupted, in increasingly desperate conditions, according to the UN refugee agency (UNHCR).
“There are limited health services, shelter, water and sanitation for returnees, refugees and the host population,” the agency said.
“The priority remains facilitating onward transportation for new arrivals away from the border. However, funding for this is also running out, risking further backlogs”.
© UNHCR/Charlotte Hallqvist UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Filippo Grandi, meets a group of young Sudanese refugees in a refugee settlement in Aweil, South Sudan.
Regional response
UNCHR chief Filippo Grandi, who just concluded a four-day visit to South Sudan, underscored the need for strong government leadership and ownership of the response to the new emergency.
“Efforts need to be intensified to create conditions for sustainable returns,” he said.
While additional support is required for emergency assistance for those arriving, investment in basic infrastructure and services will be crucial to make these unplanned returns sustainable.
UNHCR is working with humanitarian partners to revise the Regional Refugee Response Plan for Sudan situation. Overall funding needs for emergency assistance, including food, shelter, healthcare, education and protection, are expected to reach over $1 billion by the end of 2023.
“People are going to need support to rebuild their lives. We cannot afford to let them down,” Mr. Grandi said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

