Ukrainian military mulls withdrawal from Bakhmut - Reports
Kiev: Ukraine is considering the possibility of withdrawing from Bakhmut, also known as Artyomovsk, to spare troops and weapons ahead of an anticipated counteroffensive elsewhere on the battlefield, the Washington Post reported on Sunday, citing the Ukrainian military.
The city of Soledar next to Bakhmut went under the control of Russian forces earlier this week. The Russian Defense Ministry said the takeover paved the way for encircling and cutting off Ukrainian troops in Bakhmut.
"But we have lost many friends in the defense of this city, so we do not want to surrender it now. But maybe a temporary withdrawal would save some of our people," an anonymous Ukrainian commander told the Washington Post, adding that his unit suffered "great losses."
Another Ukrainian military, commander of an intelligence battalion currently fighting in Bakhmut, Yuriy Skala said that Kiev could decide to make a tactical maneuver in the area to spare Ukrainian troops.
"I will support the commander in chief's decision to maneuver tactically and create a new line of defense if it becomes clear that casualties are too high," Skala said.
The newspaper said, citing military analysts, that even though Bakhmout had little strategic importance in the grand scheme of things, the surrender of the city would be seen as a defeat from the political point of view.
Bakhmut is located on the Kiev-controlled part of the Donetsk People’s Republic’s (DPR) to the north of the large city of Horlivka, and is an important transport hub for supplying Ukrainian troops stationed in Donbas.
(With UNI/SPUTNIK inputs)
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

