Uranium-tainted package originating from Pakistan seized at UK's Heathrow Airport, sparks bomb scare
London: A consignment containing several kilograms of uranium, which can be used to make bombs to inflict mass devastation, originating in Pakistan was seized at UK’s Heathrow Airport, The Sun reported.
British tabloid The Sun reported the package containing uranium landed at Heathrow’s Terminal Four aboard an Oman Air passenger flight from Muscat.
The radioactive material was confiscated on December 29 during a routine screening in the Cargo section of Heathrow, the report said.
The package was addressed to an Iranian-linked firm in the UK, reported The Sun.
Alarmed by the contents of the package, Border Force agents isolated the consignment in a radioactive chamber and called in counter-terrorism officers.
A major anti-terrorism probe has been launched after the recovery.
“We can confirm officers from the Met’s Counter Terrorism Command were contacted by Border Force colleagues at Heathrow after a very small amount of contaminated material was identified after routine screening within a package incoming to the UK on 29 December 2022,” Met Police told MailOnline, UK based media agency.
“I want to reassure the public that the amount of contaminated material was extremely small and has been assessed by experts as posing no threat to the public,” Commander Richard Smith said, according to Dailymail Online.
“Although our investigation remains ongoing, from our inquiries so far, it does not appear to be linked to any direct threat. However, we will continue to follow up on all available lines of enquiry to ensure this is definitely the case,” the commander said.
The incident has also triggered concerns over the handling of nuclear material in Pakistan.
The discovery of uranium in the package has raised an alarm over Pakistan being used as a transit point for smuggling nuclear material.
Pakistan reacts
Meanwhile, Pakistan has rejected any connection with the tainted consignment, saying that the British media reports on the incident weren't factual.
“No information to this effect has been shared with us officially. We are confident that the reports are not factual,” Foreign Office Spokesperson Mumtaz Zahra was quoted as saying by the Dawn newspaper on Thursday.
According to Pakistani officials, the shipment did not originate in Pakistan, as is being claimed by British media, it said.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

