Next pandemic will be 'even deadlier' than Covd-19, warns WHO chief
Geneva/IBNS: World Health Organisation (WHO) chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has issued a warning that the world must get ready for the next pandemic, which might be "even deadlier" than the COVID-19 pandemic.
This comes at a time when COVID cases are somewhat stabilising around the world.
"The end of COVID-19 as a global health emergency is not the end of COVID-19 as a global health threat," Tedros said.
"The threat of another variant emerging that causes new surges of disease and death remains, and the threat of another pathogen emerging with even deadlier potential remains."
The head of the WHO said this as he presented his report to the 76th World Health Assembly.
He underscored the need for effective global mechanisms that address and respond to emergencies of all kinds.
"When the next pandemic comes knocking-and it will-we must be ready to answer decisively, collectively, and equitably," he advised.
Tedros said COVID-19 had significant implications for health-related targets under the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which have a deadline of 2030.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines
Measles deaths have dropped by 88 per cent since 2000 – yet an estimated 95,000 people, mostly children, still died from the virus last year, the UN World Health Organisation (WHO) warned on Friday.

WHO sounds alarm: Infertility now strikes 1 in 6 people worldwide!
Infertility is estimated to affect 1 in 6 people of reproductive age at some point in their lives, World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

Saving the Gentle Giant: How India’s Fishers Are Leading a Whale Shark Revival
Once targeted for oil and meat, the whale shark is now being saved by fishers along India’s Arabian Sea coast. What began as a Gujarat-led conservation movement has reached Lakshadweep and Kerala. With awareness drives and rescue compensation, fishers are learning safe disentanglement techniques. Yet, inadequate support and social security gaps continue to challenge the people risking their livelihoods to protect this gentle giant. Mongabay India correspondent K A Shaji reports

Cyclone Ditwah affects Tamil Nadu: Flights cancelled, schools shut
Chennai/IBNS: As Cyclone Ditwah moves closer to the north Tamil Nadu and Puducherry coasts, authorities across multiple sectors have intensified preparations.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

