Bangladesh's Shakib Al Hasan announces retirement from T20Is ahead of Kanpur Test against India
Kanpur/IBNS: In a significant development, Bangladeshi all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan on Thursday (Sept. 26) announced his retirement from T20Is.
In a press conference ahead of Bangladesh's second Test against India in Kanpur, the 37-year-old cricketer also expressed his desire to retire from Test cricket as well at the end of the home series against South Africa in Mirpur next month.
"I have expressed my desire to play my last Test in Mirpur, if that won't happen, the second Test against India would be my last. Going back to Bangladesh is not a concern, but leaving Bangladesh once I go there is dangerous,” Shakib Al Hasan said in the presser.
"It feels fitting to conclude my Test career in front of my home fans. Bangladesh cricket has given me so much, and I want to give my last in this format at home," the cricketer added.
Shakib Al Hasan, renowned for his exceptional all-round abilities, made his Test debut for Bangladesh in a high-stakes match against India in Chittagong in 2007.
Since then, Shakib has played 70 Test matches, enjoying remarkable success both with the bat and ball.
He has accumulated 4,600 runs and taken 242 wickets, maintaining a bowling average of 31.85 and a strike rate of 64.4.
Shakib has claimed 19 five-wicket hauls and two ten-wicket match hauls, establishing himself as a key figure in Bangladesh's bowling unit in Test cricket.
With the bat, the left-hander has proven his skill by scoring five centuries and 31 half-centuries, further solidifying his status as a top performer.
However, despite his stellar career, Shakib struggled in the first Test of the current two-match series against India.
He went wicketless on a pitch that heavily favored spin bowling, and the Indian batters handled his variations comfortably.
Additionally, he couldn’t perform with the bat, struggling against India's powerful bowling lineup.
Given his recent form and ongoing injury concerns, it seems that retirement is a likely consideration for Shakib, and it wouldn’t come as a surprise.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

Tota, Abir and Mimi to star in Srijit Mukherji’s new film ‘Emperor vs Sarat Chandra’

Blockbuster opening! Tere Ishk Mein storms box office despite harsh critic reviews

