Lalit Modi reveals unseen slapgate footage featuring Sreesanth, Harbhajan Singh nearly two decades later
Nearly two decades after the slapgate incident had triggered a row in the world of cricket, former Indian Premier League chief Lalit Modi has unveiled a raw video of the event for the first time, an episode that featured former Indian cricketers Harbhajan Singh and Sreesanth.
The video showed Harbhajan Singh slapping Sreesanth.
The footage was not revealed since it occurred in the 2008 edition of the cash-rich tournament.
He revealed the video footage during an interview with former Australian cricketer Michael Clarke in a show titled Beyond23 Cricket Podcast.
"The game was over, cameras were shut off. One of my security cameras was on," Modi told Clarke in the video.
"Bhajji just gives him a back-hander," he said.
“I hadn’t put it out for so long. We have 18 years behind us for this," he was quoted as saying in the video.
The video footage was released months after Singh, one of the iconic spinners to represent India in the game and a World Cup hero, apologised to Sreesanth for the incident.
The incident dates back to the game between the Mumbai Indians and the Kings XI Punjab in 2008.
After the incident, Singh, who was captaining the Mumbai Indians that time in the tournament, was banned from playing the tournament in 2008.
Apologising for the incident on X, Singh said: " This wasn’t right bhai. It was my mistake. Shouldn’t hv done this . But Galti hui Insaan hu Bhagwaan nahi."
Singh and Sreesanth had been part of the Indian national team in several crucial series, including the 2007 T20 World Cup and 2011 World Cup-winning sides.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

