Pune Test shocker: Gautam Gambhir-led management cancels 'optional training' facility for senior cricketers after New Zealand beat India to clinch series
The Indian team management has decided to cancel the 'optional training' facility given to senior cricketers, including Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli, ahead of the Mumbai Test after the national team suffered a shocking series defeat against visiting New Zealand.
The cricketers have been directed to attend the two practice sessions ahead of the Mumbai Test which begins on November 1.
“The team management has asked the players to be present for two days of practice on October 30 and 31. It’s compulsory and no one can skip it,” a source told The Indian Express.
According to reports, the Indian team management had earlier allowed players to skip practice sessions ahead of the start of a Test match but the scenario has changed since the squad suffered two back-to-back Test match defeats against New Zealand.
The Mumbai Test has become crucial for India to keep their World Test Championship final qualification charges alive.
New Zealand put up a dominant show on Indian soil to beat the home side by 113 runs in the second Test to take an unassailable lead of 2-0 in the three-match series on Saturday.
New Zealand also ended India's 18-series home dominance with the victory in Pune.
This is the first time New Zealand clinched a Test series in India.
After the defeat, skipper Rohit Sharma described the defeat as 'disappointing'.
"It is not what we expected. NZ played better cricket than us. We failed to respond to challenges and we sit here with that result. I don't think we batted well enough to get runs on the board," he said after the match.
After the home series against New Zealand, India will travel to Australia for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Jemimah Rodrigues opts out of remainder of WBBL season after Smriti Mandhana's wedding gets postponed
Mumbai/IBNS: Brisbane Heat have announced that Indian batting star Jemimah Rodrigues will not rejoin the squad for the rest of the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) season, after she requested to remain in India following the postponement of teammate Smriti Mandhana’s wedding.

Smriti Mandhana’s fiance Palash Muchhal discharged — wedding date still a mystery amid viral chat scandal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s fiancé Palash Muchhal was discharged from hospital on Wednesday, while uncertainty over the couple’s rescheduled wedding date continues.

Smriti Mandhana's father discharged, fresh wedding date still uncertain amid viral online chat involving Palash Muchhal
Mumbai/IBNS: Indian cricketer Smriti Mandhana’s father, Srinivas, who was recently hospitalised following a heart attack, has been discharged, media reports said.

Humiliation for Team India! South Africa clean-sweeps Test series 2-0
Guwahati/IBNS: Team India suffered a major setback on Wednesday as South Africa completed a dominant 2–0 clean sweep on Indian soil, winning the second Test convincingly.
Latest News

UN alerts: Global measles cases surge as 30 million children miss vaccines

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon

Tota, Abir and Mimi to star in Srijit Mukherji’s new film ‘Emperor vs Sarat Chandra’

Blockbuster opening! Tere Ishk Mein storms box office despite harsh critic reviews

