Afghanistan: Taliban bans women from attending universities
Kabul: The Taliban administrators of Afghanistan have banned women from going to universities.
In an official letter, the ministry of higher education has ordered all public and private universities to suspend female university students’ education until the next order. Also, girls’ secondary and higher schools remain closed for the past year, reports Khaama Press.
US Department of States Special Representative Thomas West has expressed solidarity with the women of the country over the restrictions imposed.
1/2 The Taliban today announced new and indefensible restrictions on the lives of Afghan women. My thoughts are with them right now: Sisters, daughters, mothers seeking education to support their families and fulfill their dreams.
— U.S. Special Representative Thomas West (@US4AfghanPeace) December 20, 2022
"The Taliban today announced new and indefensible restrictions on the lives of Afghan women. My thoughts are with them right now: Sisters, daughters, mothers seeking education to support their families and fulfill their dreams," he tweeted.
"This is an important moment for the world: We must unite and oppose these policies in the strongest terms. We must stand with Afghan women," he said.
The Taliban government came to power in Afghanistan last year by removing the previous government after foreign forces left the country.
A shameful move. The Taliban have banned women in Afghanistan from attending universities.
— Human Rights Watch (@hrw) December 20, 2022
This is the latest in a series of policies that have restricted the basic rights of women and girls. pic.twitter.com/qVPBNkxOib
Human Rights Watch described the move taken by Taliban administrators as 'shameful'.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

Tripura: ARC method drives four-fold surge in potato production

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

