FBI says ISIS-inspired New Year’s Eve attack in North Carolina foiled, 18-year-old arrested
The FBI on Friday said it had foiled a potential ISIS-inspired attack planned for New Year’s Eve in North Carolina and arrested an 18-year-old suspect in connection with the plot.
In a statement on social media, the FBI said the suspect was “directly inspired to act by ISIS” and credited coordination with law enforcement partners for preventing the attack.
FBI Director Kash Patel said the operation had “undoubtedly” saved lives.
US Attorney Russ Ferguson said at a news conference that the suspect, identified as Christian Sturdivant, had been planning the attack for nearly a year.
Authorities alleged that he intended to carry out a knife and hammer attack targeting civilians. “He was preparing for jihad, and innocent people were going to die,” Ferguson said.
Sturdivant has been charged with attempting to provide material support to a foreign terrorist organisation.
According to an FBI affidavit, Sturdivant had been on the agency’s radar since January 2022, when he was still a minor.
Investigators said he was in contact with an Islamic State member based in Europe and received instructions on how to carry out attacks, including guidance to dress in black and use blunt weapons such as a hammer.
During a search of the suspect’s home, FBI agents recovered a handwritten document titled “New Year’s Attack 2026,” which allegedly outlined plans to stab up to 20 victims and attack police officers responding to the scene.
Authorities said the investigation remains ongoing.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Canada eyes trade talks with US after Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs
Canada is shifting focus to renewed trade negotiations with the US following a landmark Supreme Court ruling that invalidated President Donald Trump's sweeping reciprocal tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).

Trump asks Netflix to drop ex-Obama official Susan Rice from board, warns of ‘consequences’
US President Donald Trump has called on Netflix to remove board member Susan Rice, warning the streaming giant to “pay the consequences” after Rice suggested Democrats would act against corporations that align themselves with Trump.

Neal Katyal slams Trump’s 15% global tariff, says President cannot bypass Congress
Indian-American constitutional lawyer Neal Katyal has strongly criticised Donald Trump for imposing a 15% global tariff, arguing that the US President cannot bypass Congress when introducing sweeping trade measures.

Pakistan airstrikes kill dozens of Afghan civilians near border: Kabul
Dozens of Afghan civilians were killed and injured after the Pakistan Air Force carried out airstrikes on residential areas along the Pakistan–Afghanistan border, an Afghan government spokesperson wrote on X, sharply escalating tensions between the two neighbours.
Latest News

PM Modi’s Mann Ki Baat connects every home, inspires citizen: CM

Canada eyes trade talks with US after Supreme Court strikes down Trump's tariffs

90 million jobs at risk? Infosys Chairman Nandan Nilekani’s big AI warning

Meet Asha Sharma: The Indian-origin executive now leading Microsoft Gaming

