Rights expert urges Italy to stop criminalizing activists saving migrant lives at sea
New York: Activists working with sea-rescue charities in Italy should not be criminalized, a UN independent human rights expert said on Thursday, ahead of a trial against crew members from several non-governmental organizations (NGOs).
Preliminary criminal proceedings opened last May in Sicily against 21 people charged with aiding and abetting illegal immigration in connection with several search-and-rescue missions conducted between 2016 and 2017.
#Italy: Criminalisation & repression of human rights defenders involved in search and rescue NGOs must end - UN expert: The ongoing proceedings in Sicily are a darkening stain on Italy and the EU's commitment to human rights. Saving lives is not a crime.
Those accused include four crew members of the Iuventa, a former fishing trawler credited with saving some 14,000 migrant lives in the Mediterranean Sea, and human rights activists from other civilian vessels.
‘Solidarity is not smuggling’
The ongoing proceedings are “a darkening stain on Italy and the EU's commitment to human rights”, said Mary Lawlor, UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders.
“They are being criminalised for their human rights work. Saving lives is not a crime and solidarity is not smuggling.”
Ms. Lawlor has engaged with the authorities on the issue.
‘A very disturbing sign’
She noted that the proceedings have been plagued by procedural violations, including failure to provide adequate interpretation for non-Italian defendants, and translation of key documents.
Last month, the Italian Prime Minister’s Office and the Ministry of Interior applied to join the case as plaintiffs, seeking compensation for damage claimed to have been caused by the alleged crimes.
“States that respect human rights promote the work of human rights defenders,” said Ms. Lawlor. “The Government’s decision to seek to join the case goes directly against this principle – it is a very disturbing sign.”
Lives at further risk
The case is unfolding against a backdrop of new restrictions imposed by the Italian authorities on civilian search and rescue operations.
Since December, NGO ships have consistently been instructed to disembark rescued persons at ports in north and central Italy, or several days’ sailing from rescue sites in the Central Mediterranean.
Furthermore, new regulations for civilian search and rescue, introduced in January, effectively prevent NGO captions from carrying out multiple rescues during a mission.
They must now request a port of disembarkation and head there without delay or risk facing heavy fines and having their vessels impounded.
Ms. Lawlor urged the Italian Government to repeal the legislation, which is incompatible with its obligations under international law.
“The new legislation and instructions on ports of disembarkation are obstructing essential activities of civilian rescue ships,” she said. “They are widening the search and rescue gap in the Central Mediterranean, putting lives and rights at further risk.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

