Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy removes Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy announced that he has dismissed the country's Defence Minister, Oleksii Reznikov, who had been serving the country in the position since the beginning of Russia's invasion of the nation in 2022.
The President cited the need for 'new approaches' as a reason for his action.
"This week, parliament will be asked to make a personnel decision … I have decided to replace the minister of defense of Ukraine. Oleksii Reznikov has gone through more than 550 days of full-scale war," Zelenskyy was quoted as saying by CNN.
He nominated Rustem Umerov, who runs Ukraine's State Property Fund, as the new Defence Minister of the country.
"The Verkhovna Rada (legislature) of Ukraine knows this person well, and Mr. Umerov does not need any additional introductions," Zelensky was quoted as saying by CNN.
The President said: "I expect parliament to support this candidate."
Oleksii Reznikov had been serving as the Defence Minister of Ukraine since November 2021.
Previously, he had also served as the deputy Prime Minister of Ukraine, as per the country's Defence Ministry website.
His removal comes in the wake of a number of corruption scandals involving Ukraine’s Ministry of Defence, reported CNN.
As per Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index, the country ranked 116, out of 180 nations.
There have been reports of corruption in the country's defence ministry over procurement of goods and equipment for the army at allegedly inflated prices. However, Reznikov was not personally accused of corruption.
Ukrainian media has speculated that Reznikov will become Kyiv's new ambassador in London, where he has developed good relations with senior politicians, BBC reported.
Ukrainian defence advisor Yuriy Sak told the BBC that Reznikov spearheaded the transformation of the ministry, laying the groundwork for future NATO membership.
Also Read: Russia-Ukraine conflict: Drone attack at Pskov airport leaves four Il-76 planes damaged
"His legacy is that he has convinced ministers of defence around the world that the impossible is possible," he said in reference to Reznikov's successful lobbying of foreign governments for arms.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

Tripura’s first Commercial Coffee Common Facility centre inaugurated at Kailashahar

