UN calls for support for international force for Haiti
New Delhi: Now is not the time for the world to turn away from Haiti, UN Deputy Secretary-General Amina Mohammed said on Wednesday, calling for international solidarity and support as the country continues to confront gang violence, political instability and a deadly cholera outbreak.
Addressing the Security Council, Ms. Mohammed underlined the UN Secretary-General’s call for support to the Haitian National Police, as set out in a letter to ambassadors in October.
“I urge every country with the capacity to do so to give urgent consideration to the Haitian Government’s request for an international specialized armed force to help restore security and alleviate the humanitarian crisis,” she said.
Terrorizing local communities
Haiti has been paralyzed by gang violence, which is obstructing the freedom of movement of people, goods and humanitarian aid.
The insecurity has fueled the resurgence of cholera, increased food insecurity, sparked massive displacement and disrupted the education of thousands of children.
Gangs also are using killings and rapes to terrorize and subjugate whole communities.
Step up now
“There are many other crises around the world. But very few crises, if any, test our commitment and values like the one that we are witnessing in Haiti,” said Ms. Mohammed.
“It is time to step up and turn the current crisis into an opportunity for Haiti to bounce back stronger,” she added.
Killings and kidnappings
Briefing the Council, UN Special Representative in Haiti, Helen La Lime, said 280 people were murdered there last month – the highest on record. Reported kidnappings have exceeded 1,200 this year, or double the 2021 figure.
“Further compounding the plight of the millions living amidst this violence is the catastrophic economic situation, with all main roads in and out of the capital under gang control, stymieing trade,” she said, speaking from the capital, Port-au-Prince.
“Close to half the population are food insecure, with some 20,000 people facing famine-like conditions.”
Shrinking police force
Despite Government investment, the Haitian National Police (HNP) "continues to be under-resourced and insufficiently equipped to address the enormity of the task ahead,” she said.
Furthermore, the force continues to shrink. Rising attrition has reduced operational strength to under 13,000 personnel, with fewer than 9,000 available as active-duty officers.
“Some effective operations against the gangs in Port-au-Prince have been mounted but holding these security gains continues to be a challenge. The HNP needs assistance in the form of a specialized force, as outlined in the Secretary-General’s letter of 8 October,” she stated.
Political developments
On the political front, Ms. La Lime said Haitians have welcomed a Council resolution, adopted unanimously in October, that establishes a sanctions regime targeting gang leaders and their backers.
The UN Mission in the country, BINUH, has also continued efforts to advance political dialogue.
Civil society groups have developed a ‘National Consensus document’ that includes steps for moving to elections within an 18-month timeframe.
Ms. La Lime told the Council that several Haitian interlocutors who support the sanctions see them as a crucial tool in combatting corruption and impunity.
“Nonetheless, sanctions will be most effective as part of a comprehensive approach: that includes both the on-going political dialogue; and enhanced operational security support to the HNP, as outlined in the Secretary-General’s letter,” she said.
“These three approaches in parallel will be essential to restoring order, public confidence, and the hope that the country’s tomorrow can be better. Haitians deserve no less.”
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

Love in Canberra! Australian PM Albanese ties the knot with Jodie Haydon
Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese married his partner Jodie Haydon on Saturday, becoming the first sitting leader in the country to wed while in office.

Operation Sagar Bandhu: India sends NDRF teams, 21 tonnes of aid to cyclone-ravaged Sri Lanka
Colombo/IBNS: The Indian Air Force (IAF) on Saturday transported 21 tonnes of relief supplies, more than 80 National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) personnel, and eight tonnes of specialised equipment to Sri Lanka to support thousands displaced by severe flooding.

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.
Latest News

Tripura: ARC method drives four-fold surge in potato production

'Congratulations to my good friend': Modi’s heartwarming wish for newly married Aussie PM Anthony Albanese

Realme C85 5G launched in India: You won’t believe what this budget phone offers

Realme P4x launching on Dec 4 with a 7000mAh battery, Dimensity 7400 Ultra 5G chipset, and the new Realme Watch 5

