US Air Force member in critical condition after he sets himself on fire in front of Israeli Embassy in Washington DC
An active-duty member of the US Air Force on Sunday set himself on fire outside the Israeli Embassy in Washington DC, media reports said.
“The Metropolitan Police Department responded to the 3500 block of International Drive, NW, at approximately 1:00 pm, to assist the United States Secret Service after an individual set themselves on fire in front of an embassy in the block,” the Washington Metropolitan Police Department said in a statement to CNN.
In a video of the incident, obtained and reviewed by CNN, the man identifies himself as Aaron Bushnell and says, “I will no longer be complicit in genocide”, before going on to say that what he’s about to do is minimal compared with the suffering of Palestinians.
The man is seen putting the recording device on the ground and then putting a liquid over himself.
He then ignites himself while repeatedly yelling 'Free Palestine'.
He eventually collapses to the ground and the police rush to douse the flame.
Rose Riley, a spokesperson for the US Air Force, told CNN, “I can confirm an active duty Airman was involved in today’s incident.”
The man was transported to a local hospital for treatment where his condition is said to be critical.
No embassy staff members were injured, and all were accounted for, according to Tal Naim, a spokeswoman for the embassy told The New York Times.
Israel is waging a war against Hamas members in Gaza after the group attacked and killed 1,200 people in Israel on October 7.
Last year a protester had set himself on fire in front of the Israeli consulate in Georgia.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump
US President Donald Trump on Thursday announced that one of the National Guard members, who was shot by a gunman in Washington DC, close to the White House, has died.

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock
The death toll in the Hong Kong high-rise housing complex blaze, one of the deadliest recorded in the region in recent times, has touched 94, media reports said.

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested
Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

Horror in Hong Kong: Death toll hits 44 as massive blaze continues, hundreds missing
The death toll from a massive fire that swept through residential apartments in Hong Kong’s Tai Po district has climbed to 44, with around 270 people still unaccounted for, authorities said on Thursday.
Latest News

Tripura aims to become national tourism hub; 4th 'Unity Promo Fest 2025' opens

Delhi air pollution worsenses, AQI deteriorates to 384; several NCR pockets in 'severe' category

US: National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, who was shot by Afghan national Rahmanullah Lakanwal, dies, announces Trump

Horror in Hong Kong: Deadly fire disaster leaves 94 dead and a city in shock

