Trump considers limited strike on Iran amid naval buildup, as talks continue in Geneva
US President Donald Trump indicated on Friday that he is considering a limited military strike on Iran, following a major naval deployment to the Middle East aimed at pressuring Tehran to reach an agreement on its nuclear program, media reports said.
Trump’s comments came after Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said that a draft proposal for a potential deal with Washington could be ready within days, following talks in Geneva earlier this week.
Asked about military action, Trump stated: “The most I can say – I am considering it.”
Iran confirmed that drafts of a potential agreement would be submitted for final review by its leadership and the US negotiating team, media reports said.
Araghchi emphasized that Washington had not requested a complete suspension of Iran’s nuclear enrichment, focusing instead on ensuring that Iran’s nuclear program remains peaceful.
This contrasts with Trump and other US officials, who have repeatedly insisted that Iran must halt uranium enrichment entirely.
Trump has ordered significant naval reinforcements, including the deployment of aircraft carriers USS Abraham Lincoln and USS Gerald Ford, as well as escort battleships, to the Gulf. Iran conducted military drills near the Strait of Hormuz, demonstrating its own readiness.
The Israeli army has placed its forces on defensive alert in response to escalating tensions.
Tehran faces ongoing economic sanctions that have fueled protests and civil unrest. Both sides continue negotiations while balancing military posturing, as the US pushes for stricter controls on Iran’s nuclear and missile programs.
Araghchi stressed that there is no ultimatum, framing the talks as a mutual effort to achieve a rapid deal.
“We only talk with each other about how we can have a fast deal. And a fast deal is something that both sides are interested in,” Araghchi was quoted as saying by AFP.
The coming days could prove critical in determining whether diplomacy or confrontation will shape the future of US-Iran relations in the region.
IBNS
Senior Staff Reporter at Northeast Herald, covering news from Tripura and Northeast India.
Related Articles

'Disaster for US workers': Donald Trump slams Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs
US President Donald Trump strongly criticized the Supreme Court on Friday after the justices struck down his sweeping tariffs, calling the ruling “outrageous” and a setback for American economic security.

Major setback for Trump! US Supreme Court invalidates tariffs, citing constitutional overreach
In a major legal setback for President Donald Trump, the US Supreme Court on Friday struck down his sweeping tariffs, ruling that he exceeded his authority by imposing them under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA).

Deadline naars: BLA releases dramatic footage of alleged captive Pakistani troops
Rugged terrain, Armed guards: Inside the viral BLA hostage video showing seven abducted Pakistani soldiers

Trump says 200% tariff threat forced India-Pakistan ceasefire: ‘Nothing like money’
Washington DC/IBNS: US President Donald Trump on Thursday reiterated his claim that he acted as a mediator between India and Pakistan during last year's military standoff, asserting that the threat of steep tariffs compelled both nations to resolve the conflict.
Latest News

'Disaster for US workers': Donald Trump slams Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs

Major setback for Trump! US Supreme Court invalidates tariffs, citing constitutional overreach

Hindi and local languages must progress together: CM

Allegations of firing on air and assault by BSF personnel in Chamubasti of Khowai; two Injured, tension grips area

